News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Find it hard to remember partners personality

Geoff - Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:42 am

Hi

This is the first time I've mentioned this to anyone in 10 years, but ever since I met my girlfriend I've found It almost impossible to remember how she looks or talks when i'm not in her company, whenever I try to visualise her talking to me I just get an anxious feeling and remember certain visual characteristicss but cant recall her essence as a person. I think this has something to do with me wanting a really beautiful girlfriend when I was younger, and because she doesnt fulfill this image I I've somehow blocked her out somehow. This is really painful as I love her when I'm with her, but when I'm away from her I can't think of her. Even when I look at photos It's hard to imagine her personality. Please could someone shed some light on this for me, and possibly some technique I could use to help me remember her personality better.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:57 pm

Hello Geoff,

How frustrating this situation must be for you. There is a condition known as facial recognition impairment, which occurs just as you describe. You are to be commended for dealing with it for 10 years without assistance. I urge you to see your medical provider for referral to appropriate treatment. The treatment outcome will not be complete elimination of the impairment, but will provide coping ideas and help minimize occurence. The condition is not a mental health issue, but is due to individual neurodevelopment, though the recommended treatment may include seeing a psychologist.

Good luck to you!

Faye, RN, MSW

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here