Question: withdrawal from cannabis

mermaid - Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:53 pm

I smoked pot practically daily for 40+ years, until 5 weeks ago i decided to clean up for good. I did a home ua and it showed a negative response, however I am experiencing terrible insomnia and anxiety. Is there a way to alleviate these symptoms without resorting to pharmaceuticals? My mother passed away a year ago this Friday. I was her sole caregiver for the last 5 years of her life, after retiring from a 33 year job and moving 1000 miles to live with her. I am still grieving her death. Insomnia actually began directly after her death, but seems to have gotten more intense in the last 2 weeks. I'm sure the pot has masked my feelings for all these years, and they are now resurfacing. I initially quit the pot because I'd like to enter the job market as soon as I can, but with the symptoms I'm experiencing I really don't think it's a great time to be interviewing and testing for a job. Can you give me an idea about the length of time until I can sleep again and feel refreshed? Right now the sleep deprivation makes me feel terrible; weak, shaky, anxious, and mood swings. Have I ruined myself for good with the drugs, or can I recover? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Thank you for providing this service. I'm a little concerned about discussing this with my doctor for fear the information could impact my chances of employment, so I would really like to do this on my own if that's possible. Thank you again.
 xebex23 - Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:40 am

hi,

i smoked dope a lot but for only 3 years, i stopped because it was giving me bad parnoia and anxiety, and it did take a long while (about 6 months) for those feelings to go. But i can assure you they've gone now and i'm so much happier for it!

I think that a lot of the anxiety is in negative thought patterns tho, and is only induced by the dope, they may have been there even if you hadn't smoked it.

I'd suggest trying to turn any negative scary thoughts into positive ones, maybe look into or read up on CBT (Cognative Behavioural Therapy) it can help you to change the way you think about things.

As for the insomnia, i'm sure this will eventually pass, but try doing more exercise in the day (not before bed tho as it can pump the adrenaline up). Read a book before bed with a cup of warm milk. Maybe look into takeing up yoga, or thai chi.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

|