News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Dream World

cam3673 - Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Sometimes I wake up and everythin feels like a dream. If I touch something I can feel it but my mind seems to think its not really there. It feels like everything im doing is not actually happening. Is this natural, or am I going insane?

My friends say I need hepl but I don't know where I can get help for this particular topic. Thats why I came here.
 Sarah V, RN - Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi Cam,
It sounds as though you are experiencing derealization/depersonalization which is the feeling that things around you are not real. You may feel like you are watching a movie or constantly in a dream-like state. This is not a sign of "going insane." If you have been dealing with considerable stress in your life, your mind will sometimes put you in this state in an attempt to ease your stress. Unfortunately, it ends up increasing your stress because you worry about what is happening. If you have other symptoms or this gets worse, I would advise you to see a psychiatrist.

All the best,
Sarah V., RN, BSc.N
 willyb021 - Thu May 07, 2009 3:54 pm

ive experienced this after having a long conversation about god and life. its like my mind was so stressed wondering about these things. (questions that cant be answered) that it just kind of went in hibernate mode. i felt dazed and questioned reality. its terrible. i stillget it from time to time. i have never been to the doctor about it due to my anxiety. i felt like i was losing it and was gonna completely lose control. what helped me is when i found out other people suffer from this and i wasnt completely losing my mind. goodluck , i know how terrible and scary it can be

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here