Question: Endorphins

ararita - Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Short History:
I'm 22 and female and I used to have depression when in high school. I don't do drugs, I'm not on medication, and I don't drink. I eat fairly healthy and I get about 7-9 hours of sleep a night.

Here's the problem:
Ever since I began meditation I've been getting a lot of endorphins running through my body. It used to be a mild release, but now it gets very intense. If I sleep, do mild exercise, work, meditate, practice art, or even if I just breath a certain way, there's a flow of endorphins.

Now... most of the time, I'm very calm and have a great sense of well being... but if I do something like a lot of work or moving around than there's so many of these endorphins to the point that my body burns out. It's almost like a natural high, pain reliever that gets to be too much.

I'm just wondering if there's any sort of medication out there to balance out the flow of endorphins... and are there disorders out there having to do with this?
 Sarah V, RN - Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi Ararita,
Can you be more specific about what you mean by a "flow of endorphins"?
Do you act different? Do you feel high? Do people around you notice when this happens? Is it bothersome to you?
Usually an endorphin surge happens after a good workout and is a positive thing. I'm believe this can also happen with meditation.

Sarah V., RN, BSc.N
 Dr. E. Seigle - Fri May 01, 2009 7:10 am

Hi arata,

It would be helpful if you could explain what you actually feel, think, perceive, and any changes in your behavior, when you feel the "flow of endorphins". It is hard to know what you mean when you use this term; more concrete detail explaining it would be useful. I will answer your posting about this ASAP. Thanks!

-E. Seigle MD
 ararita - Fri May 01, 2009 10:30 pm

Dr. E. Seigle wrote:Hi arata,

-E. Seigle MD

I feel fearless and there's next to nothing in mind when this intense bliss happens. Also, I'm more aware of whats going on around me and living more in the moment. When I say a fearless state, I'm not speaking about being a fearless maniac that feels like flying off a building... Its just a calm clear state of mind with no worries.

I have a housekeeping job and used to be the shy type. But when this all started happening, I ended up getting promoted to a higher position, getting employee the month, etc. My job used to be a drag but now its a joy. More life experiences are a joy.

People notice a difference, but they don't speak about anything strange or awkward about my behavior.

This bliss doesn't bother me when its mild, but it does bothers me when it gets so strong that my body just can't take it anymore.

The bliss started happening through self contemplation and meditation. This bliss state is almost constant, but sometimes it can be very intense and if I'm working hard then its even more intense... Once, this strong bliss lasted for 7 days and nights and its a surprise that I could still sleep easily in this sort of intensity. By about the 6th day, my body just collapsed, became irritated, shaky and tired... I think once one night I woke up and felt a bit cold and my teeth began chattering.

I don't know which gland it is in my body releasing this... (the pituitary gland maybe?)... but it must be very sensitive now.

Can this be harmful? Is there some sort of medication that can be taken when its strong?

|