Question: Feeling down, fatigued and having trouble sleeping

Grishnath - Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:58 am

Age: 27
Sex: Male
Family History: One grandfather died of kidney failure, other - pulmonary failure due to working at a concrete factory without a mask. One grandmother dead due to heat stroke, other still alive and well. Father suffering from hyperglycemia.

Well, here's the issue... not sure if this is the right place to post, so if not, please excuse me...

I've been having trouble sleeping for the past two weeks or so... usually spending anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes tossing and turning in bed before managing to fall asleep, no matter when I go to bed. I always seem to wake up somewhere between 5 and 6 am though and I find that rather weird, especially if I fell asleep at like... 2... I wake up feeling weak and tired and a bit drowsy and it goes on during the whole day.

Most of the things I used to do that I considered fun in the past seem to have lost their glamor. I.e. computer games, books, movies... even though I can still laugh at a good joke. As an addition, I seem to be having trouble with my sex life, usually being unable to keep my erection for more than 30 seconds, even though my partner is pretty good at it and is very attractive.

Once again, not sure what kind of specialist to look into regarding this issue... or if I'd need to talk with more than one specialist about it, so at least a direction of sorts would be nice in that regard... would be nice if I could get some advice on what to do in the mean-time regarding my issues... especially considering I'm running out of ideas on what to tell my girlfriend about my decreased desire for sexual interaction. Thanks in advance.
 Tim W Latsko - Sun May 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Grishnath,

Based on the presented symptoms it appears that you may be suffering from a depression or anxiety disorder or experiencing a transitionary emotional response which can be determined by a clinical interview. I am interested in knowing what happened in your life at the oneset of your symptoms.

Be honest with your partner regarding your decreased libido so as to prevent her assuming that your needs are being met elsewhere. As for your sleep hygiene, try relaxing 30-60 minutes before bed; take a warm shower if that is relaxing; read a book if that is relaxing; and try some deep breathing.

Otherwise, schedule an appointment with a clinician for a clinical interview. Good luck.....

|