News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: An urge to blurt out loud things heard or read

SCDisabledvet - Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:43 pm

I would like to know what causes me to just blurt out loud things that I hear or read. This has been happening for several years and annoys my family greatly.

For instance someone says something on the TV or radio and I will just yell the last few words that they said. Or I might start yelling out the names of road signs such as Amocco, Outback, Ford, etc.

This does not happen all the time, nor does it last more than a few seconds each time. The problem is that it occurs frequently enough that it annoys my wife and kids.

Any help on the reason why it happens or how to treat it would help.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri May 29, 2009 5:06 pm

Hello SCDisabledvet,

To my knowledge, the most likely cause of your behavior issue is related to the PTSD. The traumatic stress may have been lessened over the years, but it is still a factor in how you cope with life's stress in general. Your response to stress is very likely a coping mechanism. Even subconsciously, when stress has built to an uncomfortable level, you may be releasing it through the loud comments. Since it's a negative event to your wife and kids, that helps build more stress for you to cope with. The answer may sound simple - that is, help you find a different coping style - but isn't. An evaluation to rule out any other possibilities is warranted, followed by finding some behavior modification techniques that you can use and your family can help you with. If you are medically treated by the VA system, get in touch with the local representative and request his/her assistance in following this plan. If you are treated in the public sector, testing by a licensed psychologist followed by a psychiatric evaluation and probable treatment is indicated.

Good luck to you and your family.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here