Question: Partner needs help and I don't know what to do

arabolt - Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:02 pm

My partner is undiagnosed for all of these symptoms and I'm just writeing them down as I see it but she is
    self loathing, depressive, as well as has sudden mood swings
She is never violant unless pushed to the edge. Many times we have been haveing a nice conversation which will then rapidly change to a depressive state where she is convinced that everything is going wrong and that nothing will change that. She has gone as far as to say that she wanted to kill herself, I however belive that she wouldn't but I treated it as if she was going to short of calling the police. I have been able to talk her out of all of her "funks" but she is getting more and more freqeantely into them, and it is getting harder and harder to get her out of them. Once factor is that we have to be in a long distance relationship but we talk daily and most of the time she is fine for one or two phone calls and after that she is down, depressed, and angry. One moment telling me that I'm the best thing to ever happen to me and the next telling me she never wants to speak to me ever agian. I am at a loss as to how to proceed with this. Any and all advise is welcome. As a post script she has tried theropy but is convinced that it didn't do a "damn thing that is good to me". Please help.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri May 29, 2009 5:15 pm

Hello, arabolt,

The best answer to your situation will not be the most popular one with your partner. Although she has received treatment and it wasn't effective, she still needs treatment. She likely has a psychiatric disorder such as a bipolar diagnosis and/or an adjustment syndrome superimposed on a personality syndrome. That may account for the threats and manipulation. The only choice is to pursue further treatment. The best approach would be for her treatment provider to do some psychological testing to help identify the issues most clearly, followed by medication and behavioral treatment. She may respond quite well to group treatment. One thing that you can do to help her is to maintain a daily log of your interactions with her and her responses, so that any pattern can assist her treatment provider. It's very important that she keep trying treatment.

Good luck to both of you,

|