News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Can meds help treat operant conditioning?

srulikg - Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:04 am

Hello. First I want to say that I've always been normal.
But constant exposure to distraction in my peripheral vision every day in school caused me to have a mental illness. What happens is I'm sensitive to every movement in my peripheral vision. I can't stand people in my line of sight.
I get nervous and lose control.
I understand it's a form of operant conditioning, that the subconcious is controlling it and that's why I have no control over it.
Do you have ANY idea if medications can help treat the problem?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 pm

Hello, srulikg,

Medications can very definitely help treatment along with operant conditioning. Is your diagnosis your own, or have you been evaluated by a psychologist or psychiatrist? That you are in school tells me that you are a relatively young person. That actually can be a factor in your diagnosis. Some conditions become most clear when a person is in their late teens or early 20s, particularly those involving a thought disorder. Before anyone should recommend a medication, you should have a thorough evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist. You are not able to cope well with your stressors, so I urge you to make an appointment as soon as you can.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here