Question: true crime and paranoid personality disorder

jfsduhfhg11 - Fri May 01, 2009 9:30 am

A friend of mine (no, this really isn't a 'a friend of mine...' kind of post) was diagnosed as having paranoid personality disorder. He was convinced that everyone was 'out to get him'. I recall walking along with him, and if someone glanced at him, he was like, 'what's he looking at??'. He was sure that everyone in the neighbourhood thought he was gay (which to him is about the most vile accusation that you could level at him). He also convinced himself that his upstairs neighbour had bought ex-navy IR imaging equipment, and was tracking his movements through the floor. In his flat, he has loudspeakers in every room, attached with papier mâché to the ceiling and directed upwards. When I asked him what they were for, he replied that they defeated his neighbour's 'sonar equipment' that had previously been used to follow my friend around his house.

It took a while to persuade him to go and talk to someone, but he eventually did, and of course was diagnosed. He's now on Seroquel.

Well now I've moved into his spare room, and I'm quite concerned, as he gets up at eleven am, switches on his television and watches 'true crime' programmes until he goes to bed at eleven pm. That's (almost) all he watches.

Crime and Investigation Network, Crime Scene Australia, Crime Scene USA, Psychic Detectives... the list goes on.

Rape, torture, murder, dismemberment, dental records, shallow graves, the lot. Twelve hours a day.

When I express my concern, his response is the monstrous logical fallacy: 'so you accuse all policemen of being murderers?'

First of all, I wasn't 'accusing' anyone of anything and second, I doubt that even those officers whose jobs involve chasing murderers every day, spend as much time exposed to the actual scenes of crime, as he does plonked in front of his television.

I don't really think that he's going to become a murderer, but I'm curious as to what effect this could have on someone.

Are my concerns unfounded?
 Debra Van Ness RN - Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 pm

The reason for all the t.v watching of such programs could mean almost anything. It could simply be that he is just interested in the subject matter or could mean something more sinister. Hard to tell. He needs to see a psychiatrist on a regular basis. And are you SURE he is taking his medication?
Also, some medications work for some people and not others. Of course he is on an antipsychotic drug which is suppose to relieve the paranoia. But he might need some other meds instead or in addition to the current med.
I just want to say to be careful. There is absolutely no way for anyone to know what is going on in his mind unless you are a trained individual in this field. He needs more than just medication. He needs more intensive therapy I believe.
I know you say it is paranoid personality disorder. I am wondering it that is the same as schizophrenia. He sounds schizophrenic. Of course, antipsychotic meds are used for paranoid schizophrenia also.
Please try to urge him to get some more psych attention.
Debra Van Ness RN

|