Question: How do you know if you are depressed

Saznik - Fri May 01, 2009 1:25 pm

How do you know if you are depressed and what is the best way to deal with it if you are? I have researched into some of the symptons of depression and they are common to me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu May 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Depression can be a bit vague and hard to diagnose. Everyone feels sad at times but if the sadness doesn't go away or seems to interfere with activities you once enjoyed, it could be clinical depression. I would advise you to see a doctor about it because there are tests that can be given to assess your risk. Common signs are feeling down, depressed or hopeless or having little interest or pleasure in doing things. Sometimes people around you notice changes in your behavior. Your appetite and sleep patterns may be altered and you could have thoughts of harming yourself.

It can take a little while to find the right medication and dosage but when you do, depression can be very effectively treated. Please talk to a counselor or doctor right away if you are suspicious of depression. There are also mental health organizations such as NAMI that can help you find resources as well. You should be able to find joy in life.

|