Question: What is causing this memory loss?

xsjx - Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi
I have had numerious difficulties in my past and had a pretty unhappy teenage years. I got excluded from school when I was 13 threating someone I know I did it but cannot remeber it at all.
I am now 17 and cannot remeber school at all. I can remeber teachers names but cant remeber being in the actual school or any school i went to.
My mum told me today that when i was in my teens once the police came round and she said I had punched kicked swore at these coppers I was mortified when i heard this and feel really bad . Now I know i was a pain but i cannot recall any of this not even the police coming round. I was not on drugs or drinking at the time.
I would often wake up in the morning and somebody would tell me i had done something completely awful and i cannot remeber any of it whatsoever. Drink and drugs were never used during this.
I can remeber certain detail about holiday and event when I was younger but nothing else. In my recent past I can remeber some details but not the whole story.
The last 4/5 years of my life I cannot remeber at all. I can remeber people I met but cannot remeber any actual events or days.
I know ive gone on a bit but im very confused and have real issues about going to my doctor about it. I hope someone can help.
What could this be?
xsjx
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri May 29, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello xsjx,

There are many things that can interfere with memory. You have listed one of them, depression. Long term depression and memory problems are definitely related. Other issues may be due to abuse during childhood, some psychiatric syndromes, learning disabilities, or even a defense mechanism. As a starting point, I suggest that you see a licensed psychologist for testing and evaluation of your problems. I believe that has the best chance to help you find the answer to your questions.

Good luck to you,

|