Question: Why can't I wake up in the moring?

Bricheze - Mon May 04, 2009 2:24 am

I wasn't sure if this should go in psychiatry, because this might be caused by something physically or mentally wrong with me, and this was the closest.

For the past several months I have had a huge problem with waking up in the morning. I was a 4.0 student with straight A's but, because I continue to miss several periods of school or entire school days my grades have dropped. This raised concerns of my mother who took me to a regular doctor who's diagnosis was 'she is off her sleep patterns, start going to sleep at normal hours again and you'll be fine.'

This, obviously, hasn't worked. My symptoms are like this: At night I have issues with falling asleep. My mind doesn't race, I don't have issues with 'thinking too much,' I used to be able to simply read for a few minutes, and fall asleep, but over time it's like I have had to read longer and longer before I could sleep, now until past midnight.

In the morning I sleep right through my alarm clocks. My radio alarm clock and cell phone go off, but I don't even notice. My mom says that she will come in and 'wake me' and I will even tell her that I am awake, but I'm not. I talk in my sleep, talk to people in my sleep, and I don't remember it at all.

Me not being able to wake in the morning is becoming a problem that is going out of control. Whether it is mental or physical, it is something that needs treatment.

What is wrong with me, and how can I fix it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon May 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Sometimes our internal clocks run differently, but it would be worth having a physical exam to see if there is anything apparent and perhaps find a medication that can help you fall asleep at night, without the hangover feeling in the morning. People respond differently to sleep aids so you may need to try this on a weekend or non-work/school day when arising is not significant. But, still, set an alarm so you reproduce your schedule as much as possible.

Have you tried any over-the-counter sleep aids such as Unisom? It is to be expected that you will have trouble waking if you are not getting 8-9 hours sleep at night.

Sometimes depression manifests itself in sleep alteration so you should be screened for this common disorder. If you are depressed, even without being aware of it, you might benefit from an antidepressant such as one of the SSRIs. It sounds like you may have some anxiety that keeps you awake. This is closely related to depression and responds to medication.

Sleep is very important for your physical and emotional health and well-being as well as your ability to function in school, work and social life. If you don't find a solution with your regular doctor, perhaps you should schedule an appointment at a sleep-wake center where they study sleep disorders and try to determine if you are having apnea or other problems.

Good luck and best wishes.

|