Question: ASPERGERS AND NVLD (NO-VERBALE LEARNING DISABLITY

rtilton03 - Fri May 08, 2009 4:31 pm

I have a probleam and I need some help. I am 22 years old growing up I was diagnosed with ADHD. Later on when I was 16 I got an evaluation done and I was told that I have Aspergers syndrome. To me it ment nothing at the time, Well recently I was trying to get all my evaluations togeather into a nice binder so I don't loose them encase I was ever going to need them. I thought it would be a good idea to read through some of the reports of my old evaluations mostly for laughs and to see what they wrote as I never bothred reading them whenI was younger.
When I read them it said I have NLVD (non verbal learning disorder. This struck me as very odd. As far as I knew I have aspergers syndrome and this was a change wasn't pleasent. My mom insisted I have NVLD when I aproached her and tried to talk to her about it, She told me that they are very close in symptoms so it is hard to tell wich I have. So I decieded I wanted to learn about NVLD and Aspergers. I was hopping some one could help me figure it out.

my symptoms

I tend to obsess over tpics of intrest and it is ussualy one topic at a time. I know every thing there is to know about dogs particularly the German Shepherd. They are my favoret breed.

my friends and family tell me I do nothing BUT go on about my intrests. I have also had my bosses at work tell me I talk tomuch about things like dogs and ghosts

I have trouble knowing what is and is not apropriat to talk about and how I should and should not act in certain situations.. One example is I have no probleam tsalking about withngs like satanism or necrophile out in public.

people seem to think I have a very odd sence of humor for example jokes about people screw dead things or dogs.

when I am thinking or anxious I pace and walk in circles I sometimes bite my lip a well.

I don't react well to things like change

I have certain routines that I must fallow not alot but a few.

I must sit in the same place in class and at lunch or I get stressed out.

I am not good at reading people I am learning sign language to help me with that.

I have alot of trouble and often cant learn something unless I am intrested in it.

I learn better by doing things hands on

I get overwhelmed I am given to many verbal commands

I have trouble giving direction IE I need to use vissuals and often cant give directs by saying go down street 15 and trn onto street s. When I give directions t tends to be alot more like, g out the front door tun to your right go straight you will wee a bridge with a large iron fence. Go on the pridge half way and you should be at an intersection. Turn left and go straight till you see a foutain and take another left.

I am sensitive to certain sounds and textures.
Fire alarms freak me out

I am also censitive to pain and I don't let people near me if I get iuired. I don't care who it is if they get near me I will growl at them and bare my teeth.

Often times when I am doing something of intrest I get so caught up in it I will block out everything else. I have been so wrapped up in thought that I have crossed the street with out realizing I was crossing the street

sometimses I will stair off into space.

I have trouble with organization.

I have trouble making and keeping friends,

I am happy to say hi to some one and talk to them but I have trouble forming a cnection. I have been told I tend to drone on about my topics of intrest.

I hate tight clothes

after socailizng for a long time I am tired

I hate math

I love things that glow in the dark

I like puzzles and I enjoy putting things togeather and taking them apart.

I have alot of trouble expressing myself as well. I often don't know how to explain my emotions.

laugh when I get nervous.

I don't know how to tell what some ones intetions are.

I love music and enjoy reading and drawing.

I am sure I am forgetting something

I hate fire alarms I become really nervous and confused when they go off I will often cover my ears and want to hide I have trouble remebering where to go when one does go off.

I can cook clean

I have melt downs when things that are important to me are cancled
I hate when people are late

I have always had trouble making friends

I am very attached to certain objects

I associate better with dogs then people

I bark growl and howlat time to express my emotions

I hope this helps

I was wondering if based on what I have told you if you have an idea on which one it is
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed May 20, 2009 7:12 pm

I would say you sound like a very intelligent person who has a good handle on the symptoms and clues in your life. This is a valuable skill to help you deal with your challenges. If I were to diagnose based on what you say here I would agree with the diagnosis if Asperger's Syndrome.

Many successful people have this disorder which is growing in numbers - we don't know why. The good news is that as more and more people are diagnosed, there will be more programs and therapies to help with the social problems that go along with your gifts and interests.

You may want to check into some type of therapy. The disorder can sometimes relate to social anxiety disorder, though you probably don't really get anxious about it; you just have trouble relating to others in the usual way. Check with your local health department to see if there is a program for Autistic Spectrum Disorders. You might also check with school districts and even online. There are support groups out there that help.

I recommend a book, Pretending to be Normal by Lianne Holliday Willey

I would also recommend Tony Attwood who has worked extensively with Asperger's Disorder and is excellent. http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/

Another link: http://www.aspergers.com/

Good luck in your search for help. You will find that many of your "oddities" actually may turn out to be advantages if you learn how to channel them and work with your gifts.

|