Question: My mom suffers from extreme trust issues

GorgeousBabe7 - Fri May 15, 2009 6:20 pm

My mom has been suffering for almost 10 years with trust issues. She used to jump to impossible degrees concerning my dad and not trusting him. And no matter what anyone tells her she would never believe. Although he did have affairs in the past and he was the reason the house was like hell. Their fights used to reach to him threatening to kill her and actually trying to, he even broke a door on her once and the only thing that saved her was me and my sister calling the police to stop him. He stopped his violent behaviour after he suffered from a disease that was extremely life threatening.

Now my mom has turned her trust issues on me and my sister since we became older. She thinks that me and my sister are B*tchs and prostitues and using drugs and every single thing you could think of, without having any evidence and without us doing anything. To be honest me and my sister are extremely good girls and at the top of our class. Even though my mom doesnt believe us and trusts no one. She forbiddened us from going out with friends, talking with friends, or living our lifes. She fights with us (especially me cause Im the older one) 24/7 none stop without getting tired. I am exhasuted and suffering from a depression right now. I told my mom that we should go visit a doctor she always refuses saying " I am not crazy!". I really need to know whats wrong with my mom. Is she suffering from anything or is she just paranoid? Please help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:10 pm

Your whole family is suffering but it doesn't mean she is crazy. Many people who have been abused have post traumatic stress disorder in addition to other consequences of the pain inflicted on them. You should all seek a therapist for help in overcoming past problems and to help you improve your relationships as well as your own mental health.

There are medications as well as therapy that can help your mother. I would encourage you to try to get her to agree to seeing someone for your sake as well as hers. Obviously it is affecting your health too and you have a right to get help when needed. Is there a counselor you could talk to? Do you have insurance or an employee assistance plan associated with your parent's work or other resources. NAMI (www.nami.org) is another organization that might help you find help in your area. Please do not delay as improvement is most likely when intervention is begun as soon as possible before it festers and gets even worse.

Is there a trusted family member, clergy or other adult who might have more influence with your mother? Hopefully if she feels she can help her children she will be more motivated to get help. If not, you may need to seek help yourself since this kind of emotional abuse is not acceptable. There are victim services and hot lines that can help. Please do this and let us know how things work out.

Take care,

|