Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Prozac and Xanax for anxiety?

WannaGetBetter - Sat May 16, 2009 12:44 pm

3 months ago I began testosterone replacement therapy. I have a history of depression and anxiety and was not on any medication while on the testosterone replacement therapy. 2 weeks ago I began to have really bad anxiety. My doctor prescribed me Prozac because it has worked for me in the past, but he said it would take time for it to take its full effect. He also prescribed me .5 mg pills of Xanax and cautioned me that the Xanax was a band aid untill the Prozac worked at its full capacity.

It has been two weeks and I am finding myself still needing a Xanax to get through the day and through work.

This causes me great concern, how much time is reasonable for a recovery?

I took one last testosterone shot 2 weeks ago, and am getting off of it this week with my doctors permission.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Antidepressants can take several weeks to reach therapeutic levels so I would not despair yet, but they also sometimes need dose adjustments so you should be in touch with your prescribing doctor about this. Also, some people respond better to one or another antidepressant and often it requires a bit of experimentation over several months to get the right treatment for your situation. Try to be patient but keep in touch as well.

|