News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Prozac and Xanax for anxiety?

WannaGetBetter - Sat May 16, 2009 12:44 pm

3 months ago I began testosterone replacement therapy. I have a history of depression and anxiety and was not on any medication while on the testosterone replacement therapy. 2 weeks ago I began to have really bad anxiety. My doctor prescribed me Prozac because it has worked for me in the past, but he said it would take time for it to take its full effect. He also prescribed me .5 mg pills of Xanax and cautioned me that the Xanax was a band aid untill the Prozac worked at its full capacity.

It has been two weeks and I am finding myself still needing a Xanax to get through the day and through work.

This causes me great concern, how much time is reasonable for a recovery?

I took one last testosterone shot 2 weeks ago, and am getting off of it this week with my doctors permission.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:28 pm

User avatar Hello,
Antidepressants can take several weeks to reach therapeutic levels so I would not despair yet, but they also sometimes need dose adjustments so you should be in touch with your prescribing doctor about this. Also, some people respond better to one or another antidepressant and often it requires a bit of experimentation over several months to get the right treatment for your situation. Try to be patient but keep in touch as well.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here