Question: Wondering if symptoms are biological or psychological.

thereissomuch - Sat May 16, 2009 6:10 pm

I've recently, in about the past two weeks or so, being experiencing periods of what I would describe as brief intense confusion. I lose the ability to recognize or read facial expressions, or follow conversations. I understand the words but can't keep all of them together in my head long enough to form an idea. I lose the ability to know what I'm saying or how long I've been saying it, and gradually become just generally disoriented. Typically I can remain relatively functioning, but I've become hysterical a few times because of it. I've also developed a weird habit of adopting new words for words that already exist? It's difficult to explain, but very embarrassing, because I don't realize I've made the mistake until someone points it out. Some examples off the top of my head would be caffeine bean for coffee bean, under bridge instead of tunnel, and hand clock instead of watch. Even more frustrating is after being corrected I can't keep the correct word in mouth, and instead keep reverting back to the one I made up. Lastly, and this is the most recent update and what made me decide I should do something about it was I have moments where I can't understand written language. I was reading a passage the other day and go startled because the author switched to another language. I puzzled over it, reading it again and again to try to figure it out, I thought it resembled french, which I had taken in high school. After about two minutes at least of trying to work it out, I slowly began recognizing words as english words. Another time I was reading and the word 'gas' stopped me dead. At first I didn't recognize it at all, then as I was trying to figure it out, I remembered the rule that 's' means the plural of something, so I tried to figure what on earth a 'ga' was, until I finally realized it was gas. Now, I'm a 20 year old English major, and that was terrifying for me. My question is, is this psychological in nature or could it biological? I feel like a complete crazy person when it happens, so I was hesitant to go to my doctor and have him just tell me I was a nut, but it really is worrying and scaring me a bit. If it is psychological, what could it be? Same for biological. Did I just somehow make it all up?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:34 am

User avatar Hi thereissomuch,
Firstly you should feel free to consult your doctor and tell him/her frankly what you feel. In all probability he/she would (after a thorough physical exam) first get some basic workup done and then decide as to whom to refer your case.It would be very difficult for anyone to hazard a guess without examining you first-hand.Good luck!

|