Question: my suicidal partner

Jessilika - Sun May 24, 2009 2:02 pm

My partner and father to my two children was put on Topamax a month and a half ago. Two weeks into taking it he became suicidal. It ended in an arguement and he moved out. He switched rather suddenly. The doctor increased the topamax after he moved out. He thinks everyone is against him. He is staying with friends at work and goes to the bar all the time. He is avoiding the children as well.
Anytime I feel I make progress with talking to him he becomes mean and picks a fight. He thinks I am lying to him. I think he is manic and is showing symptoms of it. Would it be against the law for his psych doc to talk to me if I called him?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:40 pm

Doctor/patient privacy prevents his doctor from revealing anything to you about his diagnosis and things they discuss without his permission, but you can provide information to the doctor - kind of a one-way thing. Getting your view of his behavior can be very helpful to the doctor in making a treatment plan. I recommend discussion with family members for input whenever possible. Psychiatric disorders can be very complicated and hard to diagnose based on the patient's own perception of what is happening. Family members and friends often see clues the patient would never notice or think to share.

|