News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: prozac and chest pain

cleatuslives - Tue May 26, 2009 7:43 am

I just started taking prozac about 2 weeks ago. I started slowly--on 5 mg--am currently at 16 mg and will work up to 20mg in the next few days. Over the last 5 days or so I have been having chest pain. I know that it is not acid reflux because antacids don't make any difference. Taking a natural anti-inflammatory helps but not completely. I read on a few websites that this can be a side effect. Does it typically subside or should it be something that I am concerned with?
 simonne westort LPN - Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Hello,
I can understand your concerns. Antidepressants are trial and error. It is not easy to find the right one. Everyones body reacts in different ways.
I recommend telling your doctor about this right away. Sometimes the side effect can be chest pain, anxiety, shortness of breath, and other cardiac symptoms. If you do experience any of these other symptoms along with the chest pain, you can have an ekg, and other cardiac tests that will show nothing. It is a reaction from your body, and if it doesn't agree with you, then it is not the right medication for you.
you may want to see if this condition subsides, and maybe it will.
Good luck to you
simonne

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here