Question: Need Possible Alcoholism Treatment Tips!!!

Jish - Tue May 26, 2009 10:59 am

Just some background info:

I'm one semester away from graduating College, like most college students I have drank heavily on the weekends since I started college. Often times to a blackout level.

I did not drink in high school and never had the urge to even though I attended many parties where most people there were drunk.

Alcoholism runs in the family through my fathers side. I do not speak with him anymore, he left when I was about 7 years old. He turned gay and since he left he has been diagnosed as an alcoholic and also had an addiction to crack. He was abusive to me and my brother during our early childhood though that really hasnt been an issue for me.

Anyways for my question:

Drinking has become a problem for me, mainly liquor. I typically drink liquor when I drink, which is usually only on the weekends, but when I do drink I drink heavily, like I said often to a blackout level. I have developed a problem of even drinking by myself, or in a group when I'm the only one drinking on nights when I don't have any responsibilities as far as work or class the next day.
I have a very close girlfriend that I've been dating for about 10 months now and we are on the verge of getting engaged. We have decided to pursue some help for me in the form of maybe some tips that I could follow to help cut out the liquor without going to a rehab center or anything.

I have absolutely no problem when I drink beer or wine, I have no issue having 2 beers with dinner or 2 glasses of wine with dinner or in the evening and then stopping. That is not a problem for me at all. However, when I drink liquor I cannot control myself. I cannot have just one or two liquor drinks, once I start I need to continue until I am out of control.

I know the simple solution would be to just cut out the liquor, but it's not that simple for me, once the weekend rolls around I have the urge to drink liquor and reach that ridiculous level again. I don't know why because once I reach that level I don't paticularly enjoy it. But I have the urge to do it.

We have decided that the best thing for me to do is to just completely cut out the liquor drinking once and for all.

I know that it's going to be very difficult to accomplish and I was wondering what sort of suggestions anyone has to help me accomplish this goal.

The type of things I could do in order to help stop, the things my girlfriend could do to help support me throughout the process.

Whether it be recreational activities or medication, just anything I could possibly do to help stop this

Please give me some tips.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:17 am

Hello Jish,

I apologize that this response is so late. I'll provide some information in the hope that it will be useful to you and to others who may read your post.

You are aware of the issue of alcoholism running in families. There can be genetic influence, and there can also be environmental influence through coping with styles of family pathology. You describe many difficulties within your family system, and you may not be fully aware of how the childhood abuse can seriously affect your current issue. A rehab program probably would be the best approach for you, if you are willing to do it. While you don't feel that wine and beer are problems for you because you haven't taken them to the point of drunkenness, they may in fact be substitutes and still a large part of the problem. Please consider at least seeing a therapist to help you sort through what is happening in your life. You would also benefit from attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and the help and information that you would receive from them. Finally, talk with your doctor; he or she can help guide you in the right direction, and provide medical assistance as necessary.

Good luck to you!

|