News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Damage to the endorphine system

srulikg - Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:32 am

I've been a few years on antipsychotics that have always brought my mood down, so I had to take Akineton (Biperiden) along with it to balace my mood.
Now I'm off pills for some months and I've noticed that when I work out I don't feel as elevated as I used to. Before the pills I always felt elevated when I worked out, but now nothing, it's like the endorphins are not getting released.
My psychiatrist never heard of something like this.
Is there some kind of treatment for this?
Are there endorphine subtitutes I can use? I heard that former drug addicts take narcotic pain killers because the drugs damaged their endorphine system.
Is it a good idea?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Hello srulikg,

I suspect you are having rebound depressive symptoms. After discontinuing medications, it can take several months for the body's neurohormones to rebuild to normal and usual endorphin response with exercise. Before trying pain medications, which could develop its own set of problems, it may be a good idea to try a short time of medication such as Elavil to address both the possible depression, while elevating one's mood. It would be best for you to discuss this response with your psychiatrist, since his opinion is the one that matters most in your treatment.

Good luck to you. I hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here