News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Confusion, disconnection, problems with senses.

xxtamxx - Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:33 am

I'm not sure whether this is the correct area to post in.
I feel like I am going crazy.

The last few days I have suddenly felt really disconnected from everything and been having problems linking thoughts together, concentrating and just getting on with things.

I cannot focus at work, everything is confusing me. I am typing things and just feel really absent minded. Like I'm not really here. I feel like a zombie. People are talking to me and I can hear them but I cannot understand what the are saying. I don't know whether it's because of the way I am feeling or whether my hearing is actually gone funny.

My senses seem realyl blurred, like I said my hearing is being weird, my sight is blurry and again I cannot focus on anything. My touch is strange, I was iching my head but not being able to make the link between itching my head and feeling it. Also, earlier I had my hand around a mug, I couldn't feel if it was hot, I kind of knew it was but still I stuck my finger in it and burnt it. It hurt but for some reason I didn't register it.

I'm quite scared and upset by this. I feel like I am going mad. I had anxiety last week over exams, but they have now finished. The last time I felt like this I had a virus, but it feels different this time. I have suffered from depression in the past and an eating disorder, however things are much much better now.
Any help will be much appreciated.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Hello, xxtamxx,

I sincerely apologize for the extremely late response to your concerns. I will provide some information and hope that it will still be helpful to you, and to others who may read your post.

The symptoms that you describe appear to be derealization, or experiencing the environment as strange or unreal. It's a dissociative-type symptom, and not a diagnosis in itself. It can occur in many different psychiatric and/or neurological conditions, and can happen as a result of drug intoxication, severe stress or sleep deprivation. Chronic derealization may be a result of occipital-temporal dysfunction. It is a major component of Depersonalization Disorder, which is a psychiatric condition. Depersonalization Disorder basically includes the derealization symptoms to a severe degree. Treatment consists of antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications, and cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Since you've experienced the symptoms in the past related to stress, it's entirely possible that the same thing was happening in this instance. However, it's best to consult with your doctor for individual evaluation to be sure that there is not an underlying condition. Referral to a neurologist or to a psychologist or psychiatrist may be necessary.

I hope this finds you well, and I wish you good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here