Question: Confusion, disconnection, problems with senses.

xxtamxx - Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:33 am

I'm not sure whether this is the correct area to post in.
I feel like I am going crazy.

The last few days I have suddenly felt really disconnected from everything and been having problems linking thoughts together, concentrating and just getting on with things.

I cannot focus at work, everything is confusing me. I am typing things and just feel really absent minded. Like I'm not really here. I feel like a zombie. People are talking to me and I can hear them but I cannot understand what the are saying. I don't know whether it's because of the way I am feeling or whether my hearing is actually gone funny.

My senses seem realyl blurred, like I said my hearing is being weird, my sight is blurry and again I cannot focus on anything. My touch is strange, I was iching my head but not being able to make the link between itching my head and feeling it. Also, earlier I had my hand around a mug, I couldn't feel if it was hot, I kind of knew it was but still I stuck my finger in it and burnt it. It hurt but for some reason I didn't register it.

I'm quite scared and upset by this. I feel like I am going mad. I had anxiety last week over exams, but they have now finished. The last time I felt like this I had a virus, but it feels different this time. I have suffered from depression in the past and an eating disorder, however things are much much better now.
Any help will be much appreciated.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Hello, xxtamxx,

I sincerely apologize for the extremely late response to your concerns. I will provide some information and hope that it will still be helpful to you, and to others who may read your post.

The symptoms that you describe appear to be derealization, or experiencing the environment as strange or unreal. It's a dissociative-type symptom, and not a diagnosis in itself. It can occur in many different psychiatric and/or neurological conditions, and can happen as a result of drug intoxication, severe stress or sleep deprivation. Chronic derealization may be a result of occipital-temporal dysfunction. It is a major component of Depersonalization Disorder, which is a psychiatric condition. Depersonalization Disorder basically includes the derealization symptoms to a severe degree. Treatment consists of antidepressants and anti-anxiety medications, and cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Since you've experienced the symptoms in the past related to stress, it's entirely possible that the same thing was happening in this instance. However, it's best to consult with your doctor for individual evaluation to be sure that there is not an underlying condition. Referral to a neurologist or to a psychologist or psychiatrist may be necessary.

I hope this finds you well, and I wish you good luck.

|