Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Tapering off multiple medications

dvskitten - Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 am

I am currently tapering off Klonopin (clonazepam) without any really bad side effects. Was taking 1 mg, and now down to about 0.36 mg (cut down myself). However, I also started weaning off Zoloft 50 mg a few days ago and had a really horrible night of sleep with strange dreams and auditory hallucinations last night. Today I feel rather dizzy with slight vertigo. Should I wean off one at a time? If so, which one is better to wean off first. What’s a good tapering schedule for Zoloft? With the Klonopin, I’ve been tapering off ¼ of a pill every 7 days and that seems to be working for me. I also started acupunture, on fourth session, which is why I decided to wean off the meds. I cannot tolerate psychiatric drugs very well as they cause more anxiety/insomnia.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:38 pm

Hello dvskitten,

I apologize that this response is so late. I'll provide some information and hope that it might be useful to you, and to any others who may read your post.

It is never a good idea to titrate off medication without the direction and supervision of a doctor. Most doctors prefer to decrease only one medication at a time, so that if there are undesired effects of the decrease, he or she would know what medication dosage to adjust or replace. General guidelines are to decrease the medication according to the person's tolerance, which is usually over a period of 2 to 4 weeks for most medications. There are many medications that a doctor may use, so if one isn't effective or has negative effects, another may be used successfully. Finding the best medication or combination of medications can be a matter of trial and error, in order to best meet the individual patient's tolerance.

Good luck to all.

|