Question: Agoraphobia - Any Advice?

MsLyxie - Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm 21 years old and started experiencing Agoraphobia on a vacation this past January. I was officially diagnosed with Agoraphobia in early May.

My Agoraphobia keeps me from going in to stores or gas stations, as well as staying away from busy parking lots and places that have more than one person.

I am fine to drive and ride in cars as long as we don't get stuck in a traffic jam or long line in a drive-thru.

My problem is affecting my relationship with my boyfriend. He feels as though he is single outside of our home, since I can not go anywhere.

I tried seeing a therapist in May, but she was promoted to supervisor and no other therapists could handle my case since it has many different areas.

I'm not sure what exactly started this, so I was hoping to get advice on what it could be and what I could do for it. I will explain briefly a few situations in my past in hopes that it will help.

I had a son in July 2006. His father murdered him while I was at work in September 2006 and is currently in prison serving 18 years.

I used to be very close to my mother, but since my son's passing, she doesn't want much to do with me. We have spoken maybe 3 or 4 times since, and only seen each other once.

I now have a daughter who turns two in August. I have full custody of her, but do not have the financial means to support her so she's living with her grandma. I do get to see her as much as I want, though.

As for the Agoraphobia, we thought I had Hypoglycemia in October. I would end up in the hospital for feeling faint, dizzy, panicky, nauseas and short of breath with a very low sugar level.

In January, me and my boyfriend were on vacation in Florida. I have been there many times and rode every ride at all of the amusement parks. There was one new roller coaster I decided to try. We stood in line for a while and towards the ride, there was a sign that said "Danger : High Speed Roller Coaster". Normally that doesn't bother me. By the time we made it to the ride, I felt faint, weak, dizzy, panicky, short of breath, nauseas and numbness. I walked out. I then figured out it was anxiety attacks. I was still able to be around people for a few days. Suddenly, I started having them in stores and gas stations to the point it stopped my outside life completely.

I do not want to be on medication. I know I can beat this without it. I used to be one of those people who is the life of the party. I loved being around people. I loved shopping. This has ruined not only my life, but my boyfriend's and my daughter's since I can not take her to parks or the zoo.

I was wondering if you had any advice for me on what the reason may be, and how to cope and beat this Agoraphobia. It's been 7 months without seeing others besides my boyfriend, my daughter, my dad, and my daughter's grandma. I'm going crazy. I have dropped all of my friends due to this illness.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:18 pm

User avatar Hello,The best course of action in your course is to phone a behavioral therapist who would first offer you therapy over phone or email and later give you a house visit to desensitize you.Cognitive therapy will help you to understand your condition,and to adjust to the situations.Surely you will be able to overcome your problem.

|