Question: Anxiety- is there an over counter pill

kazza26 - Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:02 pm

Ok i don't suffer any anxiety disorder but i do get anxious especially about the unknown.
Like for excample if i have to see a doctor for tests i get anxious or if i am walking to work i get anxious.If i am waiting on a phone call i get anxious,if someone says they will meet me at 12 but still aint arrived 5 mins later i get anxious.All pretty normal stuff.

Now back to my point.I had to see a dentist other day to have a wisdom tooth extracted.Now the dentist couldn`t get the root out and said i needed to go hospital to have it out.
of course this made me ASK do i have to or can it be left in,the dentist said it can be left in but if i have problems it will have to come out.

Now common sense tells me at some point i probably will have problems.So i can`t avoid going hospital completly( though i am hopin i can).I am dead nervous about this.I can take a needle no problem.Ive heard all sorts of stories about scapels being put in ur mouth while your awake.Yes maybe in American you might have the option of being put to sleep but not here in UK not for a root anyways lol.

I know i will go because no matter how much something scares me il face it,but when i get really anxious i cant concentrate.i think i am going to faint,my heart feels like its gonna burst out my chest.

Now obviously i cant go to a doctor just over nerves about going for an extraction,so heres my question

You can get St Johns Wort for depression .is there any thing like that for anxiety,something i can buy over counter.

thanks
 Debra Van Ness RN - Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:59 pm

You are saying you do not have an anxiety disorder, however, if you get the symptoms of feeling like you are going to pass out and feel like your heart "will bust out of your chest", this sounds like a panic attack.
Some medications may exist over the counter for this. However, I would suggest you go to a physician for some help. I think you may actually have an anxiety disorder. Also keep in mind that any over the counter medications can have interactions with any other medications you might be taking.
Debra Van Ness RN
 kazza26 - Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:54 pm

thanks for replying to me,i am not sure if i suffer panic attacks or just nerves to be honest.
i mean yeah i do feel dizzy and faint and i do feel like my hearts going to make a bid for freedom,but years a go when i was 13 i read about some killer cows and when on a walk with mate,i came across some cows,now imagine the above symtoms but 10 times worse plus i had an overwhelming fear they were going to kill me,i had to get out of there.its funny lookin back but i remember my friend trying 2 get though a hole in the fence and i was shouting at her,get through quickly we are going to be killed.i was literally shaking like a leaf lol,,to me that was a panic attack
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:57 am

Hello kazza26,

I apologize that this response is so late. I'll add a little information in the hope that it will be useful to you, or to others who may read your post.

I agree with Debra that your symptoms are more consistent with an anxiety disorder, and may be panic attacks. What you describe about the event when you were 13 was definitely scary and a situation in which anyone might feel panic in wanting to hurry and get through the fence! Panic attacks due to anxiety happen more as you describe and aren't due to clear events like escaping the cows. The best action for anyone having such symptoms, whether it is an anxiety disorder or "just nerves", is to discuss it in detail with your doctor. You may also wish to see a therapist for help in finding any contributing factors in your life, and in learning to cope with what is happening.

Good luck to you!

|