Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Antidepressants and bad breath

gasim - Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:54 am

I had Antidepressant(Dothip 75mg) 3 years ago,it cause me continues bad breath and stomach bain, please tell me how to solve this problem?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:21 pm

I would recommend you try a different antidepressant if you are still needing this treatment. Each person responds differently so if it is related to the medication, a change in type will probably work.

gasim - Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks Doctor for your reply
The depression is longer my problem right now, the prblem is the bad breath , after I stop taking antidepressant the bad breath still did not go, I need help to get rid of this bad breath and body odor.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:18 pm

I see. Perhaps you should see a dentist to see if there is any cause relating to your mouth. Are you brushing and flossing well? I know this is the obvious and you probably do this but it is the first thing to check. Make sure you see your dentist regularly to remove plaque and check for gum disease.

Some people have dry mouth which prevents the natural washing of the mouth that occurs. This can be a side effect of some medications.

If you use tobacco, this can make the problem worse so kick the habit.

Food can affect your breath (like garlic and onions). You might try increasing fruits and vegetables and decreasing meats.

Infections can also cause odor so you should see a doctor to be sure it is not some medical disorder. You also mentioned body odor and that should be discussed with your doctor. Again, it could be an underlying medical problem.

|