News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Axiety & Hyperhidrosis w/ other's

climberdude - Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:47 am

I have Anxiety with severe chronic hyperhidrosis, my hands and feet pump out enough sweat to fill a pool, I used to take clonazepam for the anxiety, just made me depressed and made my anxiety worse. I also have been running hot all the time, but have recently stopped having constant constipation, but it has bugged me my whole life. I know the treatment options for the hypderhidrosis, surgery or a mass amount of aluminum zirconium, eh not a fan. I have had blood work in the past, all normal, heart rate, and blood pressure normal. my anxiety just seems to make me edgy and irritable, pissed off, but tired, lazy, and depressed almost. just not psyched on anything I used to be psyched on all the time! should I take some sort of test? I have health insurance, what should I do? any new anxiety drugs? I want my psych back! please help!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:10 pm

Hello Climberdude,

You're very well informed on your issue, so I may not add much new information, but will try. Your anxiety is the most likely culprit, as you described. The best plan is to seek psychological testing and psychiatric review, so that the specific diagnosis is established. You may be more depressed than you think, and the anxiety is related. The medication needs to be selected for your specific symptoms, as in antidepressant and anxiolytics that have the side effect of dryness. If your chronic constipation recurs and/or persists, you will need a stool softener taken regularly, plus adequate fluids. Others with your situation have found some relief in shaving their armpits and using an aluminum zirconium; although you don't like the idea, it is very likely the best approach, barring surgical intervention. You are in a cycle: the more you sweat, the more you worry about it, the more frustrated you become, and then you sweat even more. Some behavioral treatment may also help. But first: get some expert evaluation and proceed from there.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here