News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: SSRI without epinephrine support

Bill75 - Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:05 am

I've been using Efexor for a while now and I'm seeing the benefits but it seems to be making me revved up, I think because of epinephrine. Is there a SSRI without epinephrine or norepinephrine support?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:34 am

User avatar Hello,
There are several smiliar medications to try and to my knowledge none of the SSRIs or SNRIs contain epinephrine. I wonder if you are thinking of the neurotransmitter norepinephrine which is affected by some antidepressants. Effexor, actually an SNRI (the "N" is for norepinephring vs another "S" for seratonin) merely allows the naturally occurring norepinephrine to work in your brain as it should by inhibiting the reuptake of the neurotransmitter, where your body interferes with the transfer of these chemicals. But, there are other SSRIs used to treat depression that do not have the effect on the norepinephrine (ie Zoloft, Prozac). It depends on which kind of neurotransmitter blocking you need for your depression treatment. Talk to your doctor about your concerns to see if changing to a selective seratonin reuptake inhibitor is an option for you. It can take several weeks to find the best treatment that is effective and with minimal side effects. Try to be patient but let your doctor know your side effects.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here