News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Minimizing effect of swallowing sea/salt water on Li levels

inquisitive123 - Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:31 am

Hi,

I am just wondering how my Lithium levels will be affected now that I have started to go swimming in the ocean. Invariably, swimming in the ocean leads to swallowing salt water, and I know that ingesting higher levels of salts can cause lithium levels to fall. My lithium levels are currently in the safe therapeutic range, but I do not want them to fall too low. Is there any way I can continue to go swimming in the ocean and also make sure that my lithium levels stay in the therapeutic range? I ask this question because there is a lot of talk out there about what will happen to you if you lose a lot of water due to exercise, fever, vomitting, etc--you risk lithium toxicity. However, there is very little information out there about what will happen if suddenly your sodium levels start to go up. I really enjoy swimming in the ocean and I want to be safe and make sure that my health comes first.

Thanks,

Inquisitive123
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Hello, inquisitive123,

I apologize that this response is so late. I hope this information can still be useful to you, and to others who may read your post.

You are well informed about lithium and clearly understand the need to maintain therapeutic levels. The guideline is to avoid "excessive amounts" of salt while using lithium, and swimming in the ocean wouldn't be likely to fall into the category of excessive. You'd have to swallow a fairly large amount of ocean water to have it significantly effect your lithium level. However, advise your doctor of your swimming, in the event he would choose to increase the frequency of monitoring your lithium level, as a safeguard. While avoiding excessive salt is recommended, it's just as important to maintain a "normal" level of salt intake, since lithium inhibits reabsorption of sodium in the renal tubules (kidney function), and inadequate levels of sodium can also be harmful.

Good luck to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here