Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: seroxat doze changes

jixos - Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:06 pm

i suffered from a very severe depression 7 months ago due to my ocd. i could not go anywhere or do anything since i had this obsessional thoughts about how to talk..i started taking seroxat 20mg for the first 4 months then increased dozage to 30 mg. i felt great on 30mg for about 2 months then decreased back to 20 mg. i knw reincreased my dozage to 30 mg. how much time needed for full effect of the 30 mg or the 10 mg added??
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:27 pm

Hello, jixos,

I apologize for the tardiness of this response. I hope that information about your concern will still be useful to you, and to others who may read your post.

Seroxat (generic name paroxetine) is in the class of antidepressant/psychoactive medications known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). When first given, it may take 2 to 3 weeks for the full benefits of the drug to be established. When dosages are altered, either upward or downward, it can also take days to up to 2 weeks for the change in response to take hold, depending on the person's metabolism. In some people, when a therapeutic level has been established and symptoms are controlled, reducing the medication interrupts the action of the drug to the point that when it is again increased, slightly more of the medication may be required to achieve the previous level of effectiveness. As with all prescribed medications, the dosage should never be altered without the advice and supervision of a doctor. With OCD, the optimal dosage can be as much as 40mg daily. Maximum dosage is 60mg daily. The person taking Seroxat should never combine the drug with alcohol and it should never be stopped abruptly.

I hope you are doing well.

|