News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Cheaper Anti Anxiety/Depression Drug Needed

iwtsmrff - Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:10 pm

I recently lost my job and my insurance so my prescription for Cymbalta (60mg a day) went from $30 a month to $140 a month. Needless to say, I can not afford this. I went to my doctor, and since the Cymbalta is working, he feels there is no need for a job. I explained to him that I can not afford it without insurance, and he just gives me a weeks worth of samples and writes me a 30 day prescription. That is not helpful to me at all. (He has done the same for my blood pressure medication). What other anti depressants/anti anxiety drugs work, but are at a lower cost? I have all ready been on Zoloft. I moved to Cymbalta 2 years ago. I also take Klonopin (1 mg a day). Would any cheaper medicine give the same effects as Cymbalta? Why is my doctor not willing to work with me when I tell him I can barely afford to pay for his visit? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:18 pm

User avatar Hello,
Often a doctor is reluctant to change medications when one is working well since each individual responds differently. Perhaps your doctor can look into a program where the drug manufacturer assists with the cost of the medication. If you qualify due to no insurance, you may even be able to get Cymbalta without charge or with a very low copay. The doctor writes the prescription and submits it to the company along with your application and then it is supplied directly to the physician for your use, usually in three month increments. You should inquire about this.

If this is not a possibility for you, sertraline (Zoloft) would be worth trying.

While some doctors are very in tune with the high cost of health care, some are a bit removed from the financial side of things. Continue to explain your dilemma to be sure the doctor understands your concerns thoroughly.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here