Question: I am afraid of involuntary swearing.

christmasss - Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:21 pm

Throughout the day I keep thinking about swear words and sexual images. I'm not angry or anxious. I just feel normal and these thoughts come naturally to me. People ask me the time and I say a swear word in my head. People ask me what the lunch is that day and I say a swear word again, very calmly. I never said anything wrong out loud. I'm just very scared that one day I will say something involuntarily.

What can I do to stop this? Do I need to see a psychiatrist? Can this get worse?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:18 pm

Hello, christmasss,

I am sorry that this response is so late, and I hope that you have received help with your problem. I'll give some information in case it will be helpful to you and to others who may read your post.

There are a number of reasons that such difficult to control thoughts might happen, and most may be related to an anxiety disorder, which becomes more intense the more it happens and the more the person is exposed to the feeling. It could progress to actually saying the words that you're thinking. The best action for anyone having this type of difficulty is to consult a psychiatrist and/or psychologist for evaluation and treatment. Medications that may be prescribed include antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is very effective, along with the medications, so the outlook with treatment is good. The evaluation can be done privately, or through a public mental health agency, which generally would base its costs on the person's ability to pay.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck to you!

|