Question: Adult inattentive ADD and growth deficit!

darkrose - Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 am

Hello

About a year ago I came across an online test that suggested I had adult ADD. Since then I searched online for a lot more tests and they all suggested the same thing. I went to see the only psychiatrist that is available in my town a couple of months ago and he insists that I don't have adult ADD because I didn't have any growth deficit as a child.
I would really like to know if that's true because I have big problems and I have had them for ever. I find it hard to concentrate and get things done, i daydream a lot, I stray during conversations and my answer to almost all questions is "I don't know". I can't read books or journal articles which are required for my current study. And I get low grades because I can't finish studying any thing. Help me please.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Much is being learned about adult ADD and information can be quickly outdated. I do not know of growth deficit being a requirement for diagnosis of this condition.

In the past it was a concern that children treated with stimulants for ADD might have their growth affected because the appetite is decreased, but even this has been mostly discounted now in most cases and doctors monitor the child's growth and sometimes prescribe appetite stimulants to help counteract any ill effects. It is thought that total height restriction might be in the range of 1/2 inch - basically negligible in most cases.

But as for criteria for diagnosis, growth is not associated or considered.

Seek another opinion.

|