News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Am I sick, or is it in my mind?

Tanya848 - Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:12 am

Hi,

For about a year now I have been experiencing problems. Last January, I had breathing problems and chest pain, went to a clinic said it was a pulled muslce...took tylenol and i was ok. then for the next 2 months i had gotten the stomach flu, and then conjunctivitis shortly after.

then in april, after drinking with my friends i had an attack. i thought i was dying, my heart was pounding, my chest hurt, i panicked....but eventually calmed down and was fine after a couple hours.
ever since that incident i had been getting frequent burning in my chest, pain, and panic which obviously worsened the situation.

one night in june(or july), i woke up and could not breathe very well...i panicked, went to the hospital...they did all tests on me, including a CAT scan and everything came out fine. they prescribed prevacid, saying that it was heartburn and anxiety....i was on prevacid for approximately 3 months. -they also performed an ECG and it came out negative.

then, in september/october...i began to have pains on my lower right side abdomen. i went to the doctor (felt strange feeling in my leg, like it was asleep)...they did tests, and nothing. they did an ultrasound and found fluid.....other tests were done, and nothing showed.

at times i feel discomfort on my chest...such as wearing a bra can be uncomfortable around it. the anxiety isn't as bad....if thats what it is...

my grandfather has pneumonia and i visited him in the hospital yesterday...i came home with an upset stomach and the next day feeling exhausted with muscle pains. the upset stomach is gone, and the muslce pains, i just feel tired.

i used to be a competitive athlete....up until 17, now 20....stopped working out, ate unhealthy food....a kind of depression i suppose, went from about 115pnds -140pnds...i 'don't smoke, am on BC pills (triquilar), drink on the weekends with my friends...5-6 times a month maybe? last year i drank quite a bit of hard liquor....then stopped after my anxiety attack. i now only drink wine...because if i drink liquor the next day i tend to have phlegm built up in my throat, and generally don't feel well. i don't sleep regularly....i am a university student. however, in the past month and a half, i have began working out again, and changing my eating habits slowly...but i feel very tired. if i work out in the afternoon, i'm exhausted by night...or sometimes i have to take a nap.

i feel as if something iswrong with me....but obviously the physical tests aren't showing it. i'm sorry this is long...i just need an opinion. thank you so much.
 FearfuL - Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:07 pm

I've been having bouts with anxiety as well. Are you stessed emotionally? This can affect you physically, which might explain why you feel weak at times.

This sounds something like a lifestyle thing as well. Maybe wanna cut back on the drinking? I know it sounds cheesy, but you know it's not that good for you to be doing it 5-6 times a month, every month(?).

As for your tiredness, you say you're not sleeping regularly. Be sure you get the rest you need. I need to take my own advice on this one! It's good that you're working out again and starting to eat well. I suggest continuing this pattern, see if you start feeling better, more energized.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here