Question: Starting to Panic! Experts please read.. (analstoolproblem)

problemz - Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:05 am

Hi , first off thank you for taking the time to read this and trying to help.
Im 19 years old.
Well starting about a year ago I started drinking alcohol alot daily (mostly hard liquor but beer also) And some days I would drink alcohol and not drink any water that night or even eat with an emty stomach of about over a day! I( think this is how my problem originated. Well after doing that a few times I noticed bright red blood all over in the toilet after bowel movement. So that would happen only after nights of excessive alcohol drinking and no water or food. Well since those times I have always had a bump right by my anus. After nights of drinking it would be start getting uncomfurtable , but most of the time i wouldnt even feal it. Threw this year on occasion there would be blood in stool, but very small ammounts, never like how it was the first time. I cut down on drinking but I notice when I do drink it becomes uncomfratble again in the anus and sometimes small amounts of blood the day or the next day are in the stool. Well i drank 4 days ago excessively but ate and drank water this time, these last 2 days im fealing more uncomfrtable from the lump by the anus and it seems like it got abit bigger. (it has been getting bigger and shrinking sometimes througout the year) , my stools are always think except when I don't drink for over a week they start to look normal. Well I just checked out the bump and its right next to the anus and seems purpleish color and im getting discomfort from just sitting because i can feal it. Now goign to the doctor is the LAST possible choice im willing to do because I will try all I can to fix this. What would be a good cure or what could be the problem (i know alcohol is the reason this is happening), any help? Thanks a bunch
 spiritedeye - Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:27 pm

Hi problemz,

Firstly I'm not an expert, but I thought I'd give my opinion. It sounds like a hemorrhoid that's possibly thrombosed. If that is the problem, you can buy over the counter creams that help to relieve symptoms and should shrink it. Avoid straining during a bowel movement!

If it's thrombosed, the discomfort should go in a few days, possibly longer, but the lump may remain. The doctor could remove the clot in the surgery and the lump should disappear.

I think I have an external one, but I can only feel it when it swells during a bowel movement, and then shrinks back down within seconds. Other than that, it doesn't bother me at all. No pain or blood. I've noticed, the more I strain, the bigger it gets. I've learned my lesson and I eat loads of fibre and drink loads of water lol.

Hope that helped.

Spiritedeye
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:13 am

User avatar Hi there,
That sounds absolutely accurate.
 problemz - Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:40 pm

thx allllot for taking the time to help me out and reply, may i please ask what item to buy , im guessing it should be at a supermarket but a name or the best one would be awsome! thanks
 spiritedeye - Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:35 pm

There's plenty of them, it's just buying the right one for you.

I'm not sure which is the best one, because I haven't had any symptoms other than the swelling during a bowel movement. You could try Preperation H, or Anusol. You just need to have a look in the chemist and choose one lol. As it's external, I'd make sure you get the cream and not the suppositories.

Also, you might want to try sitting in a warm bath for about 15 to 20 minutes, and that should be soothing. Don't use hot water as that might aggravate it. After a bowel movement, you could use baby wipes. I find, because of the cold, they shrink it quicker. And you could hold an ice pack there for a few minutes, but don't let the ice come into contact with the skin.

You can tell I've done my research :D

Spiritedeye

|