Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Unintentional Weight Loss and Pristiq

coffeegirl1982 - Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08 pm

I've been taking Pristiq for a month now and have been losing a significant amount of weight in a short time. (about 7% of my body weight in 4 weeks) The meds make me very nauseous and it's difficult to eat and keep from feeling even sicker.

My question is, if the nausea doesn't get better I cannot afford to keep losing this much weight. Is it safe to switch medications in such a short time span? Or would this bring on more nasty side effects?

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:39 pm

You should discuss this side effect with your prescribing physician as most often these things resolve within the first two to three weeks of beginning the medication. To continue to have nausea, vomiting and weight loss is not good and you should probably change to another medication. It's best not to stop this abruptly unless your doctor is aware so another can be started in its place to avoid a rebound depression. But, don't hesitate to contact the doctor and let whomever answers the phone know that you need to talk to the doctor directly; not just wait for an appointment in a few weeks.

|