News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: New to Bipolar Mixed

Sweetie11x - Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:17 am

My Psychiatrist diagnosed me with severe bipolar mixed disorder. It freaks me out and I am on Lamictal and Lunesta to help me sleep. I still feel anxious and worried all the time. Also, on my diagnoses sheet he put different axis 1-5. I can understand most of it except axis 5. He put 50/80, what does that mean? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:29 pm

Hello Sweetie11x,

It is difficult to have an identified diagnosis such as yours, because of all the uncertainties that go with it. Please note that for the best control of your condition, absolute compliance with the prescribed medications is essential, as well as contact with your physician on a regular basis. Report any unusual symptoms to him/her promptly, to best maintain your stability. Axis V is the Global Assessment of Functioning, on a scale of 0 to 100. 0 is no function, and 100 is optimal function. Your range of 50 to 80 reflects the severity of your condition. Assigning a range is more accurate than trying to nail down a specific number, because each of us has ups and downs throughout our days and lives. That range is your physician's estimate of your most likely ups and downs as you manage your condition. The upper level of 80 indicates the probability that you can maintain stability, and is a positive note. There really are no people who function at 100, since none of us are perfect. 80 is a very common score for those without diagnosed mental disorders.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here