Question: Wondering whether i have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Lex123 - Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi.

I was wondering whether anyone could help.

I have these thoughts which pop up in my head. These thoughts often happen after i've done something, i.e. lock the door (before i go to school) My mind keeps on telling me to go and check. When i leave from checking it, i have to do it over and over again. I have tried to ignore these thoughts and continue what i am doing, eventually i have to check it otherwise i get very stressed. This is frustrating me and I do not know what's up with myself, it is so uncontrollable. Also i have this obssession with making everything perfect otherwise I get frustrated. (This has just happened all of a sudden)
This has been happening for a week now, and i do not know what to do.

If you think I do have OCD then what would you recommend me to do?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:14 pm

These are certainly symptoms often associated with OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) but you should seek a therapist or other mental health professional for a proper diagnosis. You should know that this disorder is treatable and often medication along with psychotherapy is effective. Of course the earlier you get started in treatment the better your chances of successfully controlling it.

Cognitive behavioral therapy involves retraining your thought patterns and routines. Antidepressants may be helpful for OCD because they may help increase levels of serotonin, which may be lacking when you have OCD. A doctor can prescribe the medication and a therapist can counsel and help you overcome the negative behavior. Ideally they will be able to coordinate your care until you find the right medication.

|