Question: do you have to take adhd med everyday?

b.walshaw220 - Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:52 pm

my 5 and a half year old son was put on focalin xr 10mg about a month ago the dr did not give me a clear answer if he needed to take it everyday, she asked me don't youthink he needs it everyday? i only started giving it to him so he could focus in school, so i feel like on the weekends i can handle his behavior/hyperactivity, but a friend (also with a medicated adhd son) told me that her dr said it is important to give it to them everyday, to keep them constant.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:06 pm

As you have seen, there are two schools of thought on this. You should not need to give the medication every day if he doesn't need it, but if his behavior at home is undermining his self-esteem (because of the problems that arise there due to no meds) it may be worth it to give them daily so your child feels the routine and comfort of being in control every day. There is an associated risk of depression in children like this and it is presumed to be due to the negative effects of their behavior. For this reason, continuous use can help the overall health and well-being of your child. School success is important, but so are social skills, physical activity and interpersonal relationships. Sometimes these things will take place on the weekends so your child may need the help here too.

It's more a personal matter between yourself, your child and your doctor.

|