News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: do you have to take adhd med everyday?

b.walshaw220 - Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:52 pm

my 5 and a half year old son was put on focalin xr 10mg about a month ago the dr did not give me a clear answer if he needed to take it everyday, she asked me don't youthink he needs it everyday? i only started giving it to him so he could focus in school, so i feel like on the weekends i can handle his behavior/hyperactivity, but a friend (also with a medicated adhd son) told me that her dr said it is important to give it to them everyday, to keep them constant.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:06 pm

User avatar Hello,
As you have seen, there are two schools of thought on this. You should not need to give the medication every day if he doesn't need it, but if his behavior at home is undermining his self-esteem (because of the problems that arise there due to no meds) it may be worth it to give them daily so your child feels the routine and comfort of being in control every day. There is an associated risk of depression in children like this and it is presumed to be due to the negative effects of their behavior. For this reason, continuous use can help the overall health and well-being of your child. School success is important, but so are social skills, physical activity and interpersonal relationships. Sometimes these things will take place on the weekends so your child may need the help here too.

It's more a personal matter between yourself, your child and your doctor.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here