Question: trouble with benzodiazapenes.

chrisdowntown - Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:42 pm

5 or 6 months ago i was 324lbs at 6'2, and taking .5's of xanax when i needed them and felt fine except for my blood pressure was too high and i was not active. 6 months later- i've lost 50 lbs and eating right working out every day high protein such and such... and after 2 or 3 years of xanax working well, i start having panic attacks again. either alprazolam's effect dwindled after 2 years which it sometimes does however it's quite a coincidence that it's happened when my metabolism and metabolics have likely changed. ativan is rough i don't like it. i assume klonopin is stronger. i drank once or twice a week and xanax never affected it- but i've just started ativan this week and went to have some drinks on a friday night and- woah- didn't feel right. i'm not saying i couldn't stop drinking but it's more that the problem has reared it's ugly head so suddenly. i don't understand.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:42 pm

Hello, chrisdowntown,

I apologize for the lateness of this response. I'll provide some information anyway, in case it would be helpful to you or other readers.

The alteration in your weight and exercise could definitely alter your response to alprazolam, because your metabolism has altered. It's also possible to need an altered dosage of a medication such as alprazolam, after taking it for a relatively long time, as you have. Klonopin, Xanax and Ativan are each classed as a benzodiazepine. Alcohol should never be used while taking Xanax, Klonopin or Ativan; it is dangerous to do so. While these medications are within the same class, they are different; they are not necessarily "stronger" or "weaker", but they do interact to different extents in the body. Each may be useful in the treatment of anxiety disorders, such as panic attacks. I hope this information is useful to you. Good luck!

|