Question: Life long chronic fatigue of unknown origin

AbbyNormal - Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:07 pm

I do not believe it is depression but there isn't a forum for unknown conditions and unfortunealty, doctors always go to depression when they hear the word fatigue.

I am currently 45 and remember being unnaturally fatigued even at age 8. I started missing school because of it round age 13. I missed worke because of it when I started working steady at age 17. I was always a bit pudgy but not overly fat. At age 17 I weighted 130 and I'm 5'3" - large boned.

I never had a libido and was confused by all the promiscuity of my fellow teen girls.
I started my period near the end of year 11.

My finger nails have always been thin but not dry for brittle, just fragile due to being thin. My hair is dry and can easily tangle to the point where I have to cut the tangle out.

At 21 I had insurance and the first doctor said it sounded like depression and I didn't think to question it. I've been on most of the anti-depressants but I can not provide a complete list. Keeping a list would require energy. The last time I tried to get help with Western medician I went to an endrogronologist in hopes she would look outside the box. After taking to me for 2 minutes and the word fatigue, she diagnosed me with depression, yet again. I was too tired to go through all the doctors trying to find one that would consider that it just might not be depression so I stuck with her. I stuck with her hoping she would change her mind. I held out for as long as I could from 6/2007 - 12-2007. While on anti-depressants my blood pressure and cholsesteral went up. Now that I'm off, they are much better.

I always felt worse or that I was taking sugar pills when taking anti-depressants. Usually worse - like taking sleeping pills. Years before, I remember taking Proxac and sleeping 18 hours straight the last day that I took it.
I know I tried the following: Prozac, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Lexapro, Cybalta (was like a sleeping pill - the doctor said that was impossible), Zoloft (made my stomach burn but the doctor said that was impossible), Efexor, and others that I don't remember as I only have the medical records from that last doctor.

I have always had memory - memorizing issues. It affected my school work/learning.

I was born 1 month early to a smoker and she didn't wake me up to feed me at night until my 3 week exam and the doctor told her she had to wake me up to feed me.

I tried Grapefruit Seed Extract, 5-HTP, Serotonin and St John's Wort. The serotonin made me more sluggish.

I am currently taking the herb Rhodiola (Solaray brand Super Rhodiola 500 mgs [3% Rosavins & 1% Salidrosides] and I take breaks from it. It does help a little but not consistantly. For example, when I'm on it, I might wash the dishes but say only 2 times a week. When I'm not taking it, I don't do them at all or about 1 time a month.

Now that I'm not taking anything (except Rhodiola) this is my last blood test results
Lipid Cholesterol - 150
Triglyceride - 83
HDL - 52
Percent HDL - 35
LDL - 84

Vitamin B12 - 761

Testosterone - 33

EVB PANEL - "Suggestive of past Epstein-Barr Virus infection"

I became pregant Sept 19th 2004 and gave birth to a healthy girl 6.7.05.
I pumped breast milk until she was 6 months old (it got to be too much work). During my pregancy and until my daugher was about 12-14 months old, was the best I've ever felt in my life. It was still below normal but it was better even then when I was 10 years old in regards to energy. As such, one NP prescribed Prometrium 100 mg (Take 1 or 2 capsules at bedtime). I think I took it in the morning. I managed to take it for 30 days and then as my fatigue does, it causes me to no longer have the energy to be responsible for taking medications in a timely manner.

I've tried acupuncture. While it was very interesting, and if I were rich, I'd continue it, but it didn't help with the fatigue.

I want to go to an herbalist but am too tired to organize it. I do not leave the house but about 2 times a month and that's usually only if my husband will drive me.

I have not tried a chiropractor.

I've run out of ideas to try, where to turn. Please, please, please entertain the idea that this might not be derpession. Can one be born with depression?

Abby

PS Please inform the webmaster that when typing in this text box the curser often jumps to the top of the box. When I page down to type more, it often jumps back to the top.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 am

Hello, AbbyNormal,

I apologize for the tardiness of this response. Since chronic fatigue is an issue that frequently occurs, I'll provide some information about it so that you and perhaps others can review it.

Fatigue is indeed one of the symptoms of depression. It is also a predominant symptom in a condition known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, as well as in Fibromyalgia and other autoimmune diseases. Many conditions can have an element of fatigue, including hypothyroidism. Fatigue can significantly disrupt "normal" function; normal activity is a little hard to define since we are all individuals with our own particular "normal." However, what you describe does seem extreme, and beyond what most people would consider within the bounds of normal. Since the treatments you have tried have not been effective, perhaps a discussion with your doctor about other possibilities such as those noted above would be a good idea. Consultation with a rheumatologist would address the autoimmune issues, and an endocrinologist would address the thyroid question, if you decide to obtain a second opinion. It's difficult to find the energy to press on for an answer, but it's what must be done if you hope for change in the way you are feeling.

I hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

|