Question: Marijauna addict seeks medical help

JoeyDon1980 - Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:08 pm

First off can i please ask whomever is reading this to not put me in the stereotypical *pothead* class. I have been smoking marijauna for 20 years now. I am HIGHLY addicted though *everyone* says marijauna is not addictive. I cannot go to any rehab for a number of reasons , main one being cant take time off of work. I have tried various *home remedies* to stop, i.e just staying home till the cravings quit, which did NOT turn out well for the home life. Have tried other things such as chewing gum anytime i crave it with no good effects. Now my father in law came down to visit last week and while he was here he seen my mood from not smoking and he gave me a Xanex to take and see if it wouldnt calm me down because when im not high im a very high strung person, seems like the longer i don't smoke the more anxious i become until it gets to the point where my wifes pretty much begs me to go smoke a joint to calm down. After taking the Xanex it didnt totally get rid of the cravings but it put them at a level where it wasnt effecting my mood. My question is if i was to go to a doctor and tell them the truth about my addiction would there be anything at all that can be prescribed to help me not be so anxious and high strung all the time and can take the place of my illeagle medication. Im not a drug seeker by any means and that has been what has stopped me from trying before now for fear they are just gonna think im trying to get drugs. Anyway if anyone can help out here it would be greatly appreciated. I have been carrying this expensive monkey on my back for far too long and im ready to get him off my back
 Linda Shaw - Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 am

It is a great start that you admit you have a problem. Marajuana, while not a drug that carries a high risk of detrimental physical withdrawal symptoms, is addictive, as you can attest.

I would highly suggest you try a 12 step program. I noticed that you started smoking marajuana at age 9? A 12 step program will help to give you the tools to recover and you can manage to do that around your work schedule because there are meetings at all times of the day in many places. Try Narcotics anonymous or alcoholics anonymous. They are free. You can find their number in the phone book. Another resource is an online recovery site (recoverychat.com) . They are a forum for all addictions and you can access the site anonymously.

As for taking a family member's xanax, please don't take medications that have not been prescribed for you. It can be dangerous and you may substitute addictions. I would definitely discuss your goals and fears with your doctor. You will experience some withdrawal anxiety as you recover. Remember, this is temporary. Stick with it, for yourself, and your children.

|