News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Need help on GP's & Eating Disorder issues!

Fly_free - Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:09 am

Hi there!

I was wondering whether you could possible give me some addition information or advice/suggestions on the following….

I’ve had eating disordered issues/eating disorder since I was 13yrs old and im now 21 yrs old, my height is 5’5 and weigh 45kg’s I know that’s way too much obese to be precise!!! Sickens me to tell you the truth nevertheless, I’ve been considering the idea of seeking help/treatment from my GP. I contacted the receptionist to book and appointment and you will never guess didn’t follow through! Im scared and worried as what they will think of me, that im stupid and not worthy of there time because im the one that’s causing myself these problems, and not being ill enough… ugh I don’t know really. What do I say? I mean how do I broach the subject with my doctor. How do i start the convo about ED's?? Or say i think i have one?? Sorry im so confused!!!

I know my bloods are out FBC, ELFT potassium is down to 2.2mmol/l and creatinine is 30, Lactate dehydrogenase- LDH is 100mmol/l, Urate 0.13mmol/l and anion gap 2- I know that’s not much and the only reason I know my blood results is because I work in a laboratory therefore we can run our own bloods… I really want to be able to live like a normal person and stop hiding this all the time, it’s consuming me and my life and im really not to sure how much more I can cope with and what steps im to embark on. Muchly appreciate and information you can offer at all!
Thanking you in advance.
K
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is imperative that you see your doctor. Eating disorders are fairly common and this should not be a problem for your doctor to hear about. As for your missed appointment and how they feel about you - many people miss appointments and they deal with it, usually without judgment. Please reschedule, apologize for missing before and emphasize that you are very worried about your health.

Since eating disorders are psychological in origin, it is not surprising that your concern would be with how you are viewed by others, such as the medical staff. But, they are there to help you, so take advantage of that and know that you are valuable and worthy of their time and attention. Any doctor worth his white coat should welcome you and appreciate your honesty about your condition.

It is not an easy thing to overcome but recognition and reaching out for help is a very good start. Congratulations!
Good luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here