News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I Get Angry When I Hear Little Noises

symonds87 - Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:05 pm

This is no joke, whenever i hear little annoying noises like for example, biting of the nail,drinking a drink,hearing someone eat.now to anyone this would proberly bother them but for me its like i can hear the noise ten times louder then any1 else and it drives me to the point of wanting to smash something up in a rage of anger. i do smoke canabis and have done for about 2years now but ive noticed this since long before from when i was 11 i remember my mums boyfriend drinking some water whilst waiting for my mother to get ready.there was no noise around us whilst he was drinking so it made it even worse for me and in a rage a slapped the glass from his hands and shouted to him to shut up! since then im now 22 and a lot bigger and starting to get very worried by my outbursts as its getting uncontrolable.every noise seems like it goes over and over again even if its stopped.my girlfriend was just a minute ago filing her nails and it drove me that mad i punched my bedroom door and stormed downstairs to chill out?!?!?!?!???????

can anyone tell me whats wrong?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:18 pm

User avatar Hello,
You could have a sensory sensitivity problem mixed with anxiety disorder or some other condition. It would be wise to have a psychiatric workup. Medications that work on the brains neurotransmitters might help reduce the effect. In addition you might benefit from some kind of anger management course or stress relief to help you cope with the exaggerated reaction and to reduce risk to yourself and those around you. Behavior modification and cognitive therapy can be invaluable.

Good luck and congratulations on recognizing this potential area of relationship difficulty before it gets worse.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here