Question: random burst of rage/adrenaline

flexalite - Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:14 am

When i was a child i used to have these nightmares that was pretty much just an overwhelming sensation of anger or perhaps fear, that if i tried to resist the feeling it would just get worse and i would awake crying. it is somewhat difficult for me to describe the experience. these nightmares stopped and i didnt get any of these sensations or nightmares through my teenage years.

perhaps about two years ago i suddenly got the same overwhelming sensation again but for the first time in my life, whilst i was awake. i was quite intrigued by it and was mild and was able to control it to become better or worse. during this sensation it seems like my senses are heightened, any small movements of my body or minute sounds like the clock ticking and feel louder and/or 'powerful'? it makes me feel like i could punch through a wall with great force and feel like my muscles could tense until it bursts.

these episodes seem to occur once every weeks or months but recently has been becoming more frequent and slightly more overwhelming. the experience lasts anywhere between 1-5minutes, usually not any longer. i used to find it somewhat enjoyable and interesting and i used to be able to calm down without any problems but these days its been proving to be a bit more difficult and of a nuisance.

i don't know if its some sort of rage or adrenaline but i find myself having these episodes when i am at home relaxing not doing much. it has rarely happened to me while i am out and about.

i am not an angry person, i am outgoing and like to spend time with friends and have lots of fun when i can. i don't get into verbal/physical fights with other people and i am pretty relaxed. i just don't know why i get these sudden rushes of rage/adrenaline.

any feedback would be much appreciated to help me understand what i am going through.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Hello, flexalite,

Outbursts of rage, even controlled ones, are a symptom that something is not right in your world. First, have a complete physical examination, to rule out any physical cause, such as tumors or other conditions. Discuss with your doctor what to try next: an anger management program, or psychological therapy to help you determine the root of the problem, and pursue resolution. The fact that they are increasing in frequency means that you need assistance in dealing with whatever is causing them. Please seek assistance before it becomes a public issue - which it likely will, if left unaddressed. Other people have experienced similar symptoms, so you are not alone - but your problems are unique to you. Therapy can help resolve your situation, providing it isn't a result of a physical problem - thus the need for the complete physical exam first.

Good luck to you!

|