Question: 3 Paralysing Phobias

Kukscared - Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 pm

I am a 21 year old guy from South Africa. I have 3 paralyzing phobias that are so bad that if I see or hear one of these three things I immediately black out, often falling and injuring myself. As you can imagine, my fiance is very worried and scared by these episodes I have. I feel like these symptoms are due to my physically abusive father throwing these things into my bed when I was a kid trying to fall asleep. My fiance will now type the names of the three things I am scared of, and submit this for me, as I don't want to scare her again. Please help me. Frogs, Spiders, Moths.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 pm

I am so sorry you were exposed to such cruelty as a child. It is unconscionable that a parent would do such a thing. Clearly your father had an even bigger mental health issue and it is so sad you have to suffer from it. You can get treatment with psychotherapy.

The most frequently used treatment for phobias is a type of cognitive-behavioral therapy called systematic desensitization or exposure therapy. This treatment is very effective. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, about 75% of people are able to overcome their phobias through cognitive-behavioral therapy.

You should immediately look for help through a mental health or behavioral health center. It is not because the phobia will harm you physically unless you black out at a dangerous place, but it is clearly causing you distress and the sooner you start treatment the more years ahead that you may be able to feel better.

|