News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: 3 Paralysing Phobias

Kukscared - Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:50 pm

I am a 21 year old guy from South Africa. I have 3 paralyzing phobias that are so bad that if I see or hear one of these three things I immediately black out, often falling and injuring myself. As you can imagine, my fiance is very worried and scared by these episodes I have. I feel like these symptoms are due to my physically abusive father throwing these things into my bed when I was a kid trying to fall asleep. My fiance will now type the names of the three things I am scared of, and submit this for me, as I don't want to scare her again. Please help me. Frogs, Spiders, Moths.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:04 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am so sorry you were exposed to such cruelty as a child. It is unconscionable that a parent would do such a thing. Clearly your father had an even bigger mental health issue and it is so sad you have to suffer from it. You can get treatment with psychotherapy.

The most frequently used treatment for phobias is a type of cognitive-behavioral therapy called systematic desensitization or exposure therapy. This treatment is very effective. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, about 75% of people are able to overcome their phobias through cognitive-behavioral therapy.

You should immediately look for help through a mental health or behavioral health center. It is not because the phobia will harm you physically unless you black out at a dangerous place, but it is clearly causing you distress and the sooner you start treatment the more years ahead that you may be able to feel better.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here