Question: Bipolar affective disorder treatment.

vladvlad37 - Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:32 am

For the first time I was diagnosed with BAD at a residential psychiatric facility in 2000.
The character of the clinical course is fast-cycling. Mania periods are progressing less frequently and continue less time than depression periods. The balance between the number of days in maniac psychosis position and depressive position is about 1 to 8 now (until the beginning of taking mood stabilizers the balance was 1 to 3). Both depressive and maniac episodes may develop in different time of year but predominate in spring and autumn.

The current treatment:
mood stabilizers (carbamazepine) - constant everyday taking without gaps since 2005,
antidepressants (various of them were tested, now - Ixel), intake by courses during respective periods.

Such treatment notably improves the situation, but after all the complete recovery is out of distance. Every autumn and spring I'm spending months in disabled and helpless state on the verge of suicide.

Question is: what alternative and additional treatment modes may take place in this situation?

Vladimir, 28 years, Saint-Petersburg / Russian Federation
 Tim W Latsko - Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:42 pm

vlad...

I am not a psychiatrist and defer to that specialty for a response to your question. However, I believe that intensive outpatient talk therapy with an insight and cognitive behavioral approach may serve as an adjunct therapy that will add value to your current course of psychiatric treatments...

respectfully,,,

Tim
LMFT, LPC, SAP

|