News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Bipolar affective disorder treatment.

vladvlad37 - Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:32 am

For the first time I was diagnosed with BAD at a residential psychiatric facility in 2000.
The character of the clinical course is fast-cycling. Mania periods are progressing less frequently and continue less time than depression periods. The balance between the number of days in maniac psychosis position and depressive position is about 1 to 8 now (until the beginning of taking mood stabilizers the balance was 1 to 3). Both depressive and maniac episodes may develop in different time of year but predominate in spring and autumn.

The current treatment:
mood stabilizers (carbamazepine) - constant everyday taking without gaps since 2005,
antidepressants (various of them were tested, now - Ixel), intake by courses during respective periods.

Such treatment notably improves the situation, but after all the complete recovery is out of distance. Every autumn and spring I'm spending months in disabled and helpless state on the verge of suicide.

Question is: what alternative and additional treatment modes may take place in this situation?

Vladimir, 28 years, Saint-Petersburg / Russian Federation
 Tim W Latsko - Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:42 pm

vlad...

I am not a psychiatrist and defer to that specialty for a response to your question. However, I believe that intensive outpatient talk therapy with an insight and cognitive behavioral approach may serve as an adjunct therapy that will add value to your current course of psychiatric treatments...

respectfully,,,

Tim
LMFT, LPC, SAP

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here