News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: when to go to a doctor

sapphoq - Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:26 am

hi. im new here.
i notice many posts are asking for advice yet do not mention going to a doctor.
i also notice that my own anxiety makes me hypervigilant when it comes to my health.
i am fortunate in that i have a gp who is able to combat my anxiety with his medical knowledge.
here is my list of when to go to the doctor:
1. anything which is out of character, dangerous, or has never happened before
2. total discomfort or pain
3. thinking which is out of character [ie suicidal or obsessive]
4. really sore throat, difficulty breathing, rashes, high fevers, persistant coughing
5. bones sticking out where they shouldnt be, severe headaches or injury
6. seeing, smelling, hearing things which other people don't
7. anything which causes housemate to say,"whats up with that?"

when not to go:
pimple, mild things which over the counter products make go away, things which a good nite's sleep can fix, bruises from dog jumping on a person, tummy ache from eating or drinking too much.

anyone want to add to either list?
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:58 pm

User avatar Dear sapphoq:
Thank you for your suggestions. This forum is for answers to questions persons might have concering medical concerns and is not a substitue for seeing ones physician. I believe there is a statement to that affect on the forum for readers to see. It would be impossible to know exactly what is going on in a persons life or to correctly diagnose them over the internet. That is something that we on this forum are certainly not trying to do. I am not sure which posts you are referring to, but most of my answers to persons encourages them to see their physician if anything out of the ordinary occurs whether physical or mental. While we can pass on information it is not to be construed as a diagnosis. Thank you though for your concern and your input.
Kind Regards,
Carolyn

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here