News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Hypochondriac or Legitimate Concern?

nephilim78 - Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:36 pm

around the end of January I began developing a nasty cough. I saw my doctor around 2/15 and he diagnosed me as having bronchitis. He put me on doxycyclin and albuterol. Both of these seemed to be working well, however after I took the course of doxy my symptoms began to return. I was also getting some whiteness towards the back of my tongue. Add to that, I'd noticed a tiny non-tender swollen lymph node near the base of my neck. I pointed both of these out to my doctor when I went back on 2/28. He didn't seem too concerned with either symptom, noting that the lymph nose was only the size of a small bean and didn't feel odd to him. He put my on azithromycin and added Flovent to the mix. Both of these worked like a charm, at least on the cough, which is practically non-existant now.
However, the whiteness is still present in the back of my tongue along with some horseness (since I started taking the flovent) and the beginnings of a sore throat. There's also some occasional post nasal drip. The lymph node also hasn't dissapeared. Now I'll fully admit that I have a tendency to be a bit of a hypochondriac at times, so my question is, at what point should I start being legitimatly concerned. It's mid March and I'm still sick (albeit to a lesser degree). Shouldn't the antibiotics and such have cleared up any infection that would last this long?

oh, on a side note, I occasionally get these odd hot flashes, which i suppose wouldn't be bizzare if I were a woman in her 40's, but I'm a guy in his mid 20's. On one or two occasions I've actually woken up in the middle of the night kinda sweaty--not drenched, but odd for mid-march in a reasonable 60 degree room. They Hypochondriac in me tends to worry about things like lymphoma and HIV thanks to the miracle of self-diagnosing via google (I know, I know NEVER do that. Oh and I tested negative on the later one about 6 years ago, can't imagine how or when I would have been exposed to it since). Should I indulge my inner Hypo and bug my doctor again? Or just relax and stop googling my fears away?
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:59 pm

The first step that should be taken is to have a blood test taken to check levels of white blood cells and other possibly relevant stats in your blood work. Post-nasal drip is probably causing the sore throat. Has any allergy testing been performed? You may also speak to your physician about the possibility of this testing just in case.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here