News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Hypochondriac or Legitimate Concern?

nephilim78 - Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:36 pm

around the end of January I began developing a nasty cough. I saw my doctor around 2/15 and he diagnosed me as having bronchitis. He put me on doxycyclin and albuterol. Both of these seemed to be working well, however after I took the course of doxy my symptoms began to return. I was also getting some whiteness towards the back of my tongue. Add to that, I'd noticed a tiny non-tender swollen lymph node near the base of my neck. I pointed both of these out to my doctor when I went back on 2/28. He didn't seem too concerned with either symptom, noting that the lymph nose was only the size of a small bean and didn't feel odd to him. He put my on azithromycin and added Flovent to the mix. Both of these worked like a charm, at least on the cough, which is practically non-existant now.
However, the whiteness is still present in the back of my tongue along with some horseness (since I started taking the flovent) and the beginnings of a sore throat. There's also some occasional post nasal drip. The lymph node also hasn't dissapeared. Now I'll fully admit that I have a tendency to be a bit of a hypochondriac at times, so my question is, at what point should I start being legitimatly concerned. It's mid March and I'm still sick (albeit to a lesser degree). Shouldn't the antibiotics and such have cleared up any infection that would last this long?

oh, on a side note, I occasionally get these odd hot flashes, which i suppose wouldn't be bizzare if I were a woman in her 40's, but I'm a guy in his mid 20's. On one or two occasions I've actually woken up in the middle of the night kinda sweaty--not drenched, but odd for mid-march in a reasonable 60 degree room. They Hypochondriac in me tends to worry about things like lymphoma and HIV thanks to the miracle of self-diagnosing via google (I know, I know NEVER do that. Oh and I tested negative on the later one about 6 years ago, can't imagine how or when I would have been exposed to it since). Should I indulge my inner Hypo and bug my doctor again? Or just relax and stop googling my fears away?
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:59 pm

The first step that should be taken is to have a blood test taken to check levels of white blood cells and other possibly relevant stats in your blood work. Post-nasal drip is probably causing the sore throat. Has any allergy testing been performed? You may also speak to your physician about the possibility of this testing just in case.

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here