News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Which is better, which is worse?

isthedrin - Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:14 pm

I've been invited to participate in a clinical trial involving skin prick allergy testing, RAST blood tests and 2 allergy shots. However, I have a history of vasovagal syncope sometimes with convulsions. In general, which is better--to avoid shots at all cost to minimize the risk, or to try to "get over" the involuntary response by "unlearning" it through desensitization while lying flat throughout the procedures and waiting a while before leaving the office? I've heard recommendations both ways.Or might it be better to get a regular shot first, like a tetanus booster that I'm due for, to see how that goes first, lying down? Basically I don't want to be someone who avoids medical care because of fear of adverse reactions --generally I am not afraid of needles perse, just the vasovagal response that has often happened after injections, bee stings, eye drops, sunburns and surgery. I would very much like to get over it but don't want to attempt it if it would be unnecessarily risky. (Note: on normal occasions I might ask for a Valium or some sedative or antihistimine before a stressful procedure but I don't think I'll be allowed any other drugs in the trial.)
Thanks for your insight.
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:04 pm

If you are predisposed to these reactions in fully tested procedures, I would advise not participating in a trial where you will now have TWO unknowns.

Working through your fears to overcome them is a very effective treatment. But this should be started with projects where the outcome is definite. Once the trials have been completed by others and if they are shown to be successful, you will have more confidence in facing your fear of the procedure.

Good luck!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here