News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: depression

maggieb - Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:50 am

what does elavil do, doent seem to work been taking since may 2004??? :roll: tryed many others, none seem to work prozac. zoloft, make me nervous and antsy, shaky
 savemart55 - Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:42 am

Don't think antidepressants help much at all, but one thing that happens is that they strip Vitamin B1 out of your system. Might want to try some each day especially if you are having weird dreams or nightmares. For the cramps, try Cal-Mag from the health food store. It is the only muscle relaxant with no side effects.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:18 pm

User avatar Hello Maggieb,

I apologize for the delay in responding. Elavil is in a class of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. It affects the chemicals in the brain that become unbalanced and cause depression as well as other medical conditions as determined by your Physician. It may cause muscle spasms, twitching or jerks. If it gets worse or really bothers you talk to the doctor about it but DO NOT stop your medication without first consulting your Physician for guidance on how to discontinue it. You can cause severe affects by abruptly stopping your medication.
 matthew111 - Tue May 24, 2005 5:48 pm

Personally, the best things for me when I felt a bit depressed were a few things, these also worked for my mother who has been very depressed for years now.

Omega 3 - 9 supplements - we get alot of Omega 6 (pro-inflammatory) from a lot foods
Good Healthy nutrition
Excersise
cutting down on sugar foods

I believe it is underestimated how nutrition and excersise can help people with mild or major depression, especially from the general public.

I'm sure that by following a healthy life style, most cases of depression can be overcome.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here